Foxrock has had only two clubhouses in its 122 year history. The first one stood at the present 13th tee and was accessed from Leopardstown Road along a roadway which bordered on Glensilla and continued across what is now the second fairway. The route of the roadway can still be identified by the faint grass discolouration evident on the fairway.
Glensilla was the home of Mr. George Gillespie, President of the club in 1959. In the early sixties Mr Gillespie offered the field which formed the boundary to left of the second fairway to the club for the sum of £4000. This proposal was rejected as it was felt that it was an unnecessary expense. The lands where subsequently developed as Avonmore / Foxrock Manor.
The original clubhouse was extended through the purchase of a police hut from the west of Ireland. This building was used until 1912, when a new clubhouse was built on the present site by the Royal Exchange Assurance Co. The old clubhouse at the 13th tee was dismantled and sold to Carrickmines Tennis Club.
“Neighbouring Foxrock Golf Club had purchased a police hut from the West of Ireland and this was attached to the main pavilion. The opportunity arose for Carrickmines to purchase these renovated buildings in 1912, and it was dismantled in sections and moved to Carrickmines C<C where it became part of the clubhouse until 1999”
Carrickmines Croquet and Lawn Tennis Club Centenary Year History 2003
The Architect of our Clubhouse was a William Whymper (b.1883 d.1916) of London, a well-known architect. The clubhouse and a domestic house also in Foxrock remain Whymper’s only works in Ireland. Although the design for Foxrock Golf Club was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1913, it is not a listed building.
This building was destroyed by a fire in 1927 and was rebuilt in early 1928. This is the Clubhouse which, with a number of additions and modifications, still serves us well.
“For interesting and pleasant golf, good bracing air,
and easy accessibility, Foxrock is hard to beat”
Irish Field 1908